Hernan Peñafiel | Partner
Hernán is a long-standing litigator, with extensive experience in civil and criminal litigation, banking and financial matters, free competition, and constitutional justice. He has worked at several banks and financial institutions, as well as at various law firms. In 1995 he joined the State Defense Council at the recently created Control Division for Illicit Traffic in Narcotics and Money Laundering, where he later became a Senior Attorney following international recognition for work. In addition, Hernán provides consultancy services on designing risk prevention models and training, as well as the certification of prevention models relating to the criminal liability of legal persons.
He has been a member of the official Chilean delegations to the Global Forum to Combat Corruption, the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission, the World Economic Forum and the Organized Crime Analysis Group.
In addition, Hernán is actively involved in the academic field, having been a Teaching Director of the Law School of the Universidad Mayor and professor at several other law schools. He is a frequent presenter at international conferences and seminars.
Studies and Experience
- Lawyer, Universidad de Chile (1982).
- Lecturer at the Law School of the Universidad Mayor (2003-2005).
- Founding Partner in MS Compliance SA (2005-2012).
- Professor in the postgraduate course on Probity and Good Governance of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (since 2010).
- Professor for the postgraduate Corporate Governance and Compliance course at the Universidad del Desarrollo (2016-2017)
- Counsel for the Defense Council of the State of Chile (since 1995).
- Partner of the Chirgwin Peñafiel Law Firm (since 2013).