Chile opens its borders to investors and visitors from October 1
As of October 1st, Chile will reopen its borders to foreigners without residence who are vaccinated. It will be necessary to comply with specific measures to enter the country, such as negative PCR and travel insurance, in addition to a 5-day quarantine at the hotel or residence of the traveler’s choice.
A. Who can enter Chile?
Foreigners without residence in Chile, with a Chilean mobility pass: it consists of a certificate of vaccination against coronavirus previously validated in Chile (details of how to obtain it are further down in this document).
B. What are the official border crossings?
- Arturo Merino Benítez Airport
- Iquique Airport
- Antofagasta Airport
C. What are the requirements to enter Chile?
To enter Chile, the traveler must present:
- Affidavit: The traveler must complete the “Affidavit of Travelers” form electronically up to 48 hours before boarding. In this form, you will provide contact information, health and travel history, and accept the entry conditions. It is available at c19.cl, and will be required by the operator of the means of transport when boarding and by the health authority when entering the country. Children under two years of age are exempt from this requirement.
- PCR test: The traveler must attach to the “Travelers Affidavit” a negative result of a PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 with a maximum of 72 hours from collecting the sample to the departure time of the flight with the final destination to Chile. It will be required by the operator of the means of transport when boarding and by the health authority when entering the country. Children under two years of age are exempt from this requirement. Suppose a person presents a persistent positive result due to being infected with the virus in the last month. In that case, they can attach two positive PCR results, where the sampling of one must have been carried out up to 72 hours before shipment or entry, and the other must have been made with more than 14 days of difference with the date of boarding or entry, but with less than a month between both tests.
- Travel Medical Insurance: This requirement is only for foreigners not residing in the country. The traveler must attach to the Affidavit of Travelers a certificate of medical insurance that covers the expenses that may cause medical assistance, hospital care and repatriation, during their entire stay in the country, including coverage of any expenses originated by Covid- 19. The minimum amount of coverage for health benefits must be USD 30,000.
C. What are the health measures that the traveler must comply with when entering Chile?
- Strict Isolation at Declared Domicile:
- Travelers with Mobility Pass (with validation by the Ministry of Health of vaccines received abroad): 5 days of isolation (120 hours counted from the sanitary customs control at the point of entry into the country).
- Travelers without a Mobility Pass (without validation by the Ministry of Health of vaccines received abroad): 7 days of isolation (168 hours counted from the sanitary customs control at the point of entry into the country).
- The requirements for quarantine are:
- Arrive at the informed address by private car and without sharing with other passengers.
- All cohabitants who are in the declared address to perform the isolation must also complete the same isolation. If you choose a hotel, you will not be able to leave the room.
- Inspection during the quarantine period, traveler monitoring for 14 days with self-report and/or PCR testing.
- Isolation for positive cases:
Travelers who are positive in any of the tests carried out in the 14-day traveler follow-up period and their close contacts must necessarily perform isolation in the place and time that the Health Authority determines. Includes children.
- To consider:
The isolation of the traveler is equivalent to that of positive cases and close contacts (but without a medical license). This means that, during their isolation, the traveler and their cohabitants CANNOT:
- Leave the home.
- Leave the hotel room (in case you voluntarily decide to isolate yourself in a hotel).
- Receive visitors.
- Walk a pet.
- Go to work.
- Attend educational establishments.
- Use public transport.
- Use a health passport or mobility pass.
E. What is the validation process for vaccines received abroad?
It is the process by which non-resident foreigners in Chile can request Chilean validation of their vaccination data received abroad to obtain the Mobility Pass. It is done through the portal www.mevacuno.cl.
F. What vaccines can be validated in Chile?
All vaccines that have been approved by the Chilean Public Health Institute (ISP), the World Health Organization (WHO), the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA). Currently, these correspond to those of Moderna, Pfizer / BioNTech, Janssen (Johnson & Johnson), Oxford / AstraZeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac, CanSino and Generium (Sputnik-V) laboratories.
For more information, download the Protected Frontiers Plan that comes into effect from October 1st and count on us for advice in the process of obtaining the documents and meeting the requirements to enter Chile.
I Chirgwin I